Re: Entertainment Car on Overland, Ghan and I.P

In article <01bf8a57$794954a0$282d37d2@pentium>,
  "David Dowd" <valley123@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> Can anyone remember when the entertainment car used to run on the
Ghan?
> Why did they ever take this car off, or did they>?
A source suggest entertainment carriage took off when gambling  become
legal in SA. Once I won 20$ in there:-) By the way, I don't think
entertainment car ever been on Overland/IP,  however there was once
entertainment car attach to "Sliver city limited".

Queenslander almost had its own entertainment car once, but was
rejected by the transport minister.

> I think that that would be a draw card for some people, being able to
play
> the pokies while being whisked through the Australian outback!
There are lots of pokies hotels in outback towns:-)

> What did this car have in the way of Entertainment and if possible,
could
> they still use it or is it out of date ect.
They were also fitted with some video games and serving light
refreshment/drinks to ALL class!! IIRC this is the only carriage where
passenger from all class can enjoy. These days people in coach class
can only move around within coach class(and somking lounge). They can't
go beyound Matilda Resturant.

> Where is this car or cars and are they in running order?
In Keswick passenger yard. In storage condition.
> I think this car would be a bit of a novelty for some!
>
> SOMETHING FOR G.S.R TO THINK ABOUT!
check out this page , give you detail of the carriages used to operate
entertaiment car:

http://www.railpage.org.au/comrails/

In order to make this work GSR would have to employ more staffs leads
to more expenses. Currently Ghan can attract passengers without it
anyway.

--
Cheers

James