Re: [VIC]training new loco drivers

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:35:31 +1100, "andrei" <andrei@ausisp.com> wrote:

>Interesting article from page 29 of February 2000 edition of Owner/Driver.
>I wonder if it's accurate, and why I found this info not in a rail mag, but
>truck newspaper.
>
>" Freight Victoria has started training nine new locomotive drivers - a sign
>of confidence for the Victorian railway.
>  Four of the trainees are from within Freight Victoria's other operations
>and five are new to the rail industry.
>  Their 18 month training includes a period in classrooms as well as on the
>job experience - and after graduating they will be on salaries of more than
>$50,000 pa.

$50,000 is probably more than most owner/drivers clear. Might be a
good time to quit the trucking industry which has too many players in
it anyway. It's a nice way to drop a hint.

>  The trainees are all their 20s, while the average age of Freight Victoria
>locomotive drivers is 46.

Nine drivers might be just enough to replace those retiring or leaving
for other work. Still, at least they appear to be now **replacing**
drivers instead staff reductions. Nice one.

What say ye Rod? Better under F/A or VLF?

Les Brown
See you in the loop