Re: [VIC]training new loco drivers

To be honest Les! if I was 20 again I would be having a ball. But although I
am much enthused about what they are doing, it has come to late for me. In
the old days I would have a young bloke to do all the hard stuff for me, and
would only work more than 8 hours if "it" hit the fan. Now a days the shifts
are all 10 hours or more, and I am more ofton Shunter and Signalman than
Driver. My legs are giving out, and I doubt if I will be able to keep this
up much longer, and like the posting said ages of Wodonga Drivers are
35,49,50,52,52,54[moi] and 58! I have damaged my heels and my back, on the
job, and although they promised to put second persons back on the engine,
for training, it has not happened.
Cheers
Rod

--

Rod Young
http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/

Brown Family <pcc@ocean.com.au> wrote in message
38c6f6f8.14158257@news.ocean.com.au">news:38c6f6f8.14158257@news.ocean.com.au...
> On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:35:31 +1100, "andrei" <andrei@ausisp.com> wrote:
>
> >Interesting article from page 29 of February 2000 edition of
Owner/Driver.
> >I wonder if it's accurate, and why I found this info not in a rail mag,
but
> >truck newspaper.
> >
> >" Freight Victoria has started training nine new locomotive drivers - a
sign
> >of confidence for the Victorian railway.
> >  Four of the trainees are from within Freight Victoria's other
operations
> >and five are new to the rail industry.
> >  Their 18 month training includes a period in classrooms as well as on
the
> >job experience - and after graduating they will be on salaries of more
than
> >$50,000 pa.
>
> $50,000 is probably more than most owner/drivers clear. Might be a
> good time to quit the trucking industry which has too many players in
> it anyway. It's a nice way to drop a hint.
>
> >  The trainees are all their 20s, while the average age of Freight
Victoria