Re: [VIC] fast trains

In article <7ekx4.966$fw5.535194@news0.optus.net.au>,
  dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) wrote:
> Richard (richard_snook@primus.com.au) won a Nobel Prize for
literature by writing:
> > Lately the current gurus of Spring Street are to evaluate the idea
of fast
> > trains in the Regions!!
>
> > When they utter Fast-Trains...what are we talking about ??...  TGV
> > technology...or something else...Sprinters on'drugs'..what is
fast..150,
> > 200,250 kph??
160kph, fast enough for Australian Standard.

> 160km/h railcars. Should shave about 15 minutes off Ballarat and 20
off
> Bendigo.
A lot more then that for Ballarat, they hope to shave running time
between Melbourne and Ballarat to under one hour(50 minutes to be
exact) best timing right now is about an hour an half, new Sprinter
hopefully would cut 40 minutes off the current schedule,

>Probably bring a limited express run to Geelong down to 45
> minutes.
>
> The only infrastructure requirements are lengthening the bell blocks
> handle higher speeds, and possibly some relocation of distant signals.
Maybe curve easing.

> National Express at one stage mooted ideas like "Bendigo in 1 hour"
which
> would require 200km/h, and probably tilt. It's possible, but
>expensive.
I would say they can cut off 10 minutes just by improving in between St
Alban and Spencer Street. Bendigo trains usually have to follow
sunburban trains SLOWLY through this section.

--
Cheers

James

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/