Re: [VIC] fast trains

Richard (richard_snook@primus.com.au) won a Nobel Prize for literature by writing:
> Lately the current gurus of Spring Street are to evaluate the idea of fast
> trains in the Regions!!

> When they utter Fast-Trains...what are we talking about ??...  TGV
> technology...or something else...Sprinters on'drugs'..what is fast..150,
> 200,250 kph??

160km/h railcars. Should shave about 15 minutes off Ballarat and 20 off
Bendigo. Probably bring a limited express run to Geelong down to 45
minutes.

The only infrastructure requirements are lengthening the bell blocks to
handle higher speeds, and possibly some relocation of distant signals.

National Express at one stage mooted ideas like "Bendigo in 1 hour" which
would require 200km/h, and probably tilt. It's possible, but expensive.

Cheers
David