Re: [Melb] Dynamic Fairways for Trams

D. Lindstrom <D_Lindstrom@Bigpond.com> wrote in message
HaO65.2834$c5.8404@newsfeeds.bigpond.com">news:HaO65.2834$c5.8404@newsfeeds.bigpond.com...
> Today's Age has an article about dynamic fairways fro Toorak Road.
> http://www.theage.com.au/news/20000630/A42119-2000Jun29.html
>
> This is part of it, written by By SUSHI DAS
> TRANSPORT REPORTER.
>
> "The Dynamic Fairway System, to be tested on Toorak Road later this year,
> will comprise electronic signs mounted over tram tracks and flashing
ground
> markers on approaches to four intersections at Punt Road, Chapel Street,
> Williams Road and Grange Road.
>
> Transport Minister Peter Batchelor said the signs would be activated by an
> approaching tram within 400metres of an intersection, and indicate that
> vehicles must move off the tracks.
>

> "New technology in the form of flashing markers in the road will also warn
> motorists to keep clear of the tracks," Mr Batchelor said. "As the tram
> approaches the tram stop, the signs will switch off and motorists will be
> able to follow the tram."
>
> VicRoads chief executive Colin Jordan said aspects of the system were
being
> used in Germany and Belgium but Victoria was the first place in the world
> bring the technology together to clear the path for trams."

The whole system sounds rather daft to me - if a tram is 400 metres from an
intersection and the traffic is banked up in front of it - what are the cars
supposed to do - go through a red light?  If Mr Batchelor says that as the
tram approaches the tram stop - signs will switch off and motorists will be
able to follow the tram - what are they supposed to do, do a U turn, go
back, then do another U turn?

Many of Melbourne's tram delay problems could be alleviated by giving them
priority at traffic signals instead of adopting this peculiar approach.

A cheaper solution would to be fit foghorns of the type used by US fire
departments to the trams, and sound them when approaching intersections to
blast opposing traffic out of the way.

Regards

David Bennetts