Re: Burke Rd (VIC) Crossing

Ronald BESDANSKY wrote:

> Isn't it just because they are right-angled crossings, so the gap in the
> head of the rails is much wider than in the usual diamond crossing?
>
> I always thought they could have moveable frogs at the rail crossings -
> especially at the tramway "H" crossings in the city, where the Ws make a
> terrible noise!

In the 1970s, the MMTB installed what it called "resilient crossings" at
some key intersections in the city, including the interesections of
Swanston with Flinders, Collins and Burke. The crossings had rubber
inserts and movable bits in them and were supposed to reduce the noise
as the trams went over them.

I recall at the time that 980 (the sole PCC car) was much quieter going
over crossings than the Ws, and when the Zs came along, they were
quieter still.

Next time I looked, in the 1980s, the special crossings were gone.

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand