Re: Westrail Freight sale

> > > The WA SG rail network is almost dead flat,and doesn't need 4000 HP
locos.

> > I can only assume you've never tried to haul a 4500t 1750m freight train
on
> > the kalgoorlie - Perth section.
> >
> > T&J

> The 1 in 150 grades on the Perth - Kalgoorlie section are nothing when
> compared to the 1 in 40s between Albury and Sydney.
>
> --
> John McCallum, member Melbourne PC User Group,
> email <mccallum@melbpc.org.au>

I have pulled 1250 ton in GH wagons from Moulamein to Echuca with a single Y
Class [Y164 and 6 cyl-600hp]
and before the new bridge that's how we did it every day....and that is
flat!
As soon as the new bridge was finished, V/Line substituted X Class
Locos[1800hp].

I think, John, you are confusing what can be done, with what is economical.
4000 Hp Locos on 4500t 1750m freight trains, makes good sense, and you just
use less Locos!
The same train could not be handled on your 1 in 40, without massive HP, and
then I think the curves would prevent the length, and possibly the tonnage.

--

Rod Young
http://hobsonmodelrail.rrdepot.com/