Re: www.virginblue.com.au

"Barry Campbell" <campblbm@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> A week or so ago I had to find a way of getting from Brisbane to Rocky on 30
> June and back the following Monday. Great, I thought, I'll catch Australia's
> fastest train, the Tilt Train, north and fly home. Well, I checked. The
> train leaves at 10 something which gives me time to get the dog to the
> kennel and catch a suburban train from Beenleigh.
>
> But - I discovered it doesn't get in until about 5pm. What does it do with
> all that time? How could I keep two 11 year old boys amused for all of that
> time? And by the time I paid the train fare and a full one way fare back on
> the plane it was line ball with a 21 day advance air fare.
>
> Who travels by train? Railfans and  people on concessions who generally have
> plenty of time on their hands. Even some of them will be tempted by Impulse
> and Virgin Blue. Greyhound-Pioneer have thrown in the towel so what chance
> have the rail operators. I forgot, the taxpayers have deep pockets.

The recent Productivity Commission report on railways
in Oz stated that the average fare in Brisbane cost QR
about five times more than said punter was paying.

I do not mind one bit if the Queensland Gov is
extracting big sums of money to carry minerals for
money making mining companies.  What I do object to is
people saying that QR is where it is today because they
are smart rail operators.  Of course QR are, they have
plenty of money to toss around.

----Tell
Alice Springs
<< Remove 01 for email reply >>