Re: www.virginblue.com.au

Eric Cartman wrote in message <394a18d5@news.iprimus.com.au>...
>At first glance, the words Virgin Blue may not appear to have much to do
>with railfans (or maybe it does, who knows?) at first glance but it appears
>as though it might.
<snip>

>I know which I'd choose to get to Melbourne cheaply/quickly on the spur of
>the moment!
>
>Thoughts/comments?

A week or so ago I had to find a way of getting from Brisbane to Rocky on 30
June and back the following Monday. Great, I thought, I'll catch Australia's
fastest train, the Tilt Train, north and fly home. Well, I checked. The
train leaves at 10 something which gives me time to get the dog to the
kennel and catch a suburban train from Beenleigh.

But - I discovered it doesn't get in until about 5pm. What does it do with
all that time? How could I keep two 11 year old boys amused for all of that
time? And by the time I paid the train fare and a full one way fare back on
the plane it was line ball with a 21 day advance air fare.

Who travels by train? Railfans and  people on concessions who generally have
plenty of time on their hands. Even some of them will be tempted by Impulse
and Virgin Blue. Greyhound-Pioneer have thrown in the towel so what chance
have the rail operators. I forgot, the taxpayers have deep pockets.

Barry Campbell