Re: [Mel] Derail caused by vandals

Chris Gordon wrote:

> > http://www.abc.net.au/news/state/vic/metvic-17jun2000-5.htm
> >
> > Maybe it's time for fencing the rail lines?
>
> There is not much point, fences won't stop someone wanting to cause
> trouble.
>
> A few years ago, someone put a car engine on the tracks at Mooroolbark,
> where a Comeng hit it, derailed and almost hit the side of the cutting.
> That caused about $750,000 to the Comeng.

I remember that. I have been in the cab of a train that hit a "pile of
newspapers", they are like hitting a big brick! (we stayed on..)

I also remember in the early 80's during trackwork on the Hurstbridge line,
a 2 foot offcut of rail was wedged in the points at Fairfield, when the
flange of the first train hit it, it bounced over it, the 2nd and 3rd
carriages weren't so lucky..

Vandals will always be vandals until they grow up unfortunately, and their
inability to think obout the consequences is the biggest down side to their
"hobby".

--
Thanks,

Tony Gatt.

  How do I set my Laser printer to "Stun"?

Personal Website: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~baulko/
Railway Website:   http://www.railpage.org.au/railpix/