Re: Late tours (was: Wakool trip)

ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au (James Brook) wrote in
<394CEDF4.EAF98B3@ozemail.com.au>:

>> They lost their path, left Kyenton about 00:20, now due at Spencer
>> Street about 1:30am so about 3 1/2 hours late.
>>
>> Every good railfan would know with a 10pm arrival time at Spencer
>> Street you can not rely on getting the last spark.  Railfan trips in
>> Victoria have been know to run up to 10 hours late.  (could always
>> catch the first spark :)
>
>Does anyone remember the Avoca trip back in 1989 (I think) with R707 and
>J515 where we ended up getting back to Spencer Street at about 0200?

We arrived in Spencer Street at 02:11. Having lost our path to two
freights, and hitting [new ballast|sheep|dog|cow] R711 nearly lost it's
front pilot (at the moment, it sits indented inwards, not outwards like
normal), it certainly promised for a late night. I think the trip was well
worth it though, those who motorcaded it or photographed it from the
outside missed out on a fun trip. If not the joy of sitting in a carriage
the whole day, at least the famous hotdogs being served up in the BRS car,
or the delicious meals put out by the kitchen staff would have made the
day. Running along at speed, R711 sounded magnificent as ever.

>From Echuca onwards we also added two ABU cars up front and T413 at the
rear.

Michael