Re: www.virginblue.com.au and V/line service????

"James C" <jamesccj@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
394b627e$0$17020$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:394b627e$0$17020$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...

> I think you better compare the dimension of XPT seats. VLP's economic
class
> somewhat offers just as good legroom as XPT's economic class. I travelled
by
> both XPT and VLP loco haul service quite often and noticed the VLP train
> seats are just as good as XPT's.

Surely you jest! The non-reversible nature of the seats, configured into
facing pairs, means that you are rubbing knees (particularly if the train is
full). I am not overly tall (5'9") but I have always found this when
travelling in the BRN or BN. Then there is the drama of climbing over
everyone if sitting in the window seat on the 3-across side.

> As for the table problem the joruney is relatively short anyway.
Passengers
> normally have light meals only on board and shouldn't cause great problem.

But hot drinks can be a safety issue, particularly if climbing over 5 people
to get to the window seat. Anyway, if it is "relatively short", why the need
for a buffet?

> The same type of rollingstock also use on Sunbury/Geelong/Warragul service
> occasionally therefore table is not all that useful.

So, according to your reasoning, a 747-400 that is also used on Sydney to
Melbourne services should have its long haul galley equipment removed,
thereby making it inappropriate for the Sydney to London run?

They really should segregate the fleet into long-haul
(Sale/Albury/Shepparton) and short-haul (Geelong/Ballarat/Traralgon),
bnecause to have the one fleet as now results in the same mish-mash as
exists on the XPT.

On the XPT, the seats are supposed to be meant for both daylight and
overnight services. The two different services have different seating
requirements in terms of lumbar support, head/neck support, etc. The result
of trying to combine the requirements is a seat that does not really suit
either.

Similiarly with the V/Line fleet. Having one fleet for both long-haul and
short haul has produced a fleet that is really unsuited to either use
(buffet on Geelong trains is how it is inappropriate for short haul, seating
is how it is inappropriate for long haul).

Dave