Re: Westrail Freight sale

In article <394b2628$0$17023$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au> "Rod Young" <freight_man@hotmail.com> writes:
>From: "Rod Young" <freight_man@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: Westrail Freight sale
>Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:18:59 +1000

>>  But in a joint partnership with another organisation(s)?  I wouldn't rule
>> out QR or Freightcorp just yet.....

I would.
Its a classic States rights thing.
No way we will ever sell , give or even co operate with any other State.
This has been the way of Railways in Australia since federation.
The WA Govt doesnt have to accept the highest bid or indeed accept any bid.
Any private operator getting into bed with QR or Freightcorp would effectively
be removing any chance they had of getting a bid up.
Also just what is the benefit of any private player going into a consortium
with either QR or Freightcorp.?

The only way Freightcorp or QR have any hope in hell in getting Westrail is if
they are privatised first,and theres no chance of that happening.

MD