Re: [Vic] Metcard - What could be done.

"Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
qPY15.171$re6.557069@news0.optus.net.au">news:qPY15.171$re6.557069@news0.optus.net.au...
> "Anthony Morton" <amorton@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au> wrote in message
>
> > Here the expression 'anal retentive' comes to mind.  I would have
> naturally
> > assumed that police on duty are exempt from public transport fares.
>
> They are - but if they are in plain clothes, members of the public do not
> know they are cops, so they were being told to validate. Being issued with
> tickets to enable them to do this allows them to blend in.

I believe that in Victoria, only uniformed police can get a free ride. I
remember a tram conductor arguing the toss with some detectives on St Kilda
Road some years ago.

> > >Aren't they? I, as someone who does not regularly travel via the new
toll
> > >roads, decide to travel via them. How do I pay the toll? I have not
> > >purchased whatever device is necssary to pay the toll. If I wish to
> travel
> > >via these roads, I am required to plan it in advance and go through the
> > >rigamarole required to get through the toll plazas.
> >
> > On most toll roads there are toll collection booths that accept cash.
> Even
> > on Citylink you can buy an E-tag once and it records your tolls
> automatically
> > with no further action required on your part other than paying the
bills.
> > In this way it functions like a periodical ticket that you buy once in
> advance
> > and then don't have to worry about.  You don't have to stop the car and
> wave
> > the E-tag at the toll gantry to register your toll.
>
> But you still have to go and get the E-tag, removing the spontaneity of
the
> trip. I cannot just go and use Citylink, I have to go and get the device
> first.

No, you can go and use it. You then have until noon the next day to ring
them up and get a Day Pass.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia