Re: [Vic] Metcard - What could be done.

> Only Melburnians seem to think this.

And they are the ones using the system on an ongoing basis. Have you
heard the expression "let those who ride decide"?

> It has not benefitted passengers because the system is not working as
> designed. If everyone validated, then we would be able to argue the
issue,
> but because so many people are refusing to validate as required, it is
> impossible to argue either way.

Lets assume everyone was going to validate out of the goodness of their
hearts.

Can you point to any benefit to passengers cf. the old system?

> And you need to use it as a regular commuter does, i.e. 5 or 6 times
a day,
> every day, using weekly or longer tickets. I have done this, without
any
> dramas.

I've done this. My partner still does.
A few annoying results:
1) Missing trains while waiting in a queue of commuters waiting to
undertake transactions with the machine, which takes forever to do an
eftpos transaction

2) Being unable to buy a ticket for weeks at a time due to the ticket
machines at stations at both ends being smashed and the off-system
vendors not having any monthlies in stock

3) Ticket wearing out before the month is up and machine no longer
accepting it

4) Validator at one end not working, unable to get through electronic
gates at other, having to detour to go to a manned/open gate.

5) Being unable to get an extension ticket to zone 2 or 3

6) Above all of this hearing on a daily basis from friends whose ten-
ride ticket lasts them six months on trams.

there are more, but I can't be bothered typing them in. YOu get the
point.

Vaughan

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.