Re: CLCF locos?

Bradley Torr <btorr@bigpond.nospam.com> said:

>Travelling on the up Illawarra through Meeks Road Junction on Queens
>Birthday morning, there was a freight consist heading into a siding, or
>onto the Bankstown line - I wasn't too sure. Anyway, it was an asortment
>of containers and bulk liquid wagons, and was pulled by two locos of a
>type which I have never ever seen before. The locos were white, blue and
>gold and had a logo which said "CLCF Australia". The locos had sloping
>fronts and looked rather futuristic in a Star Trek kind of way - I guess
>the locomotive world's answer to the Tangara.

These are the EL class. Owned by Chicago Freight Car Leasing, Australia. On
hire from CFCLA at the moment by: Austrac, Freight Australia and LVRF
(Lachlan Valley Rail Freight). While not familiar with Sydney, the area you
describe sounds suspiciously like the line for the Botany and Cooks River
yards.

Yes, these are the diesel answer to the the Tangara. Built by Goninan and
intended for passenger use. After the demise of AN these locos saw very
little service, until CFCLA decided to cash in on the idea. Many of them
have since been regeared from high speed passenger specs to lower speed /
higher torque freight specs. AFAIK, they are mechanically similar to the NR
class.

>So, who are CLCF? And what are they doing on Freightcorp territory!
>Inquiring minds want to know.....

See above, re CFCLA. No rail operator, other than perhaps QR, Westrail NG
and Freight Australia broad guage has their own "territory" any more.
Freight Australia (read, V/Line Freight) have contracts in and around NSW
now. ASR/ATN have contacts spanning into Victoria. Austrac operate
primarily in NSW and Victoria. LVRF are NSW only, afaik. Freightcorp run
into Victoria and SA, and have won a narrow guage grain haulage contact in
Queensland on QR territory.

Regards

Michael