Re: throwing out perfectly good trains and trams

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> Because patronage continued in free fall throughout the 1970's despite
> the new rolling stock.
>
> it was arrested in the early 80's mainly by the multimodal ticketing
> system. Its a matter of observation and deduction.

How can you say that the introduction of the multimodal ticketing was
the main influence behind the stop in the drop of patronage in the early
1980s? There are a number of factors that have to be considered.
Firstly, we had the name of Victorian Railways changed to Vicrail, which
also co-incided with the opening of the underground rail loop and
introduction of the Comeng trains. Tait trains were also being phased
out at this time.

I would also be interested to see how the phasing out of Neighbourhood
zones into 3 zones affected patronage.

Michael