Re: [Vic] Metcard - What could be done.

James Brook wrote:

> Roderick Smith wrote:
> >
> > People with periodical tickets shouldn't need to be going through barriers
> > at all: either with electronic checking or with manual checking.
> >
> > European (and even San Francisco) practice: it is the traveller's
> > responsibility to hold a valid ticket, and this is checked by random roving
> > squads (like 0.05 blood alcohol).  No barriers are needed at all.  Any
> > ticket should be validated just once.
> >

> As the tickets can be used over a number of different private train,
> tram and bus operators, how would they split up the revenue without
> recording when people board the different trains, trams or buses.
> Validating tickets is the only way to do this. I would rather validate a
> ticket than have to buy a seperate ticket for buses, trams and trains.
> When I go to uni I have to get a bus and then a tram. Validating a
> single ticket is much easier and cheaper than buying seperate tickets
> for the two different operators.
>
> These are what I think the main problems with the metcard system are:
>
> - It is hard to get some types of tickets in some areas of Melbourne.
> - The tram TVM's don't sell daily tickets.
> - Many people don't bother to buy tickets, especially on the trams and
>   unmanned stations.
> - Many people don't validate them so how can they split up the revenue
>   accurately?
> - One bus company doesn't even use Metcards!
> - Cardboard tickets are too flimsy for anything more than a weekly.
> - Metcard TVM's are vulnerable to vandalism at unmanned stations.
> - Although the instructions are fairly straightforward, some elderly
>   and disabled people can't cope with the metcard machines. Although
>   there is no problem with buses because the driver inputs the details,
>   at unmanned stations and on trams there is no help available.
>
> --
> - James Brook -

> e-mail:
> mailto:ajmbrook@ozemail.com.au
> Victorian Railfan Web Site:
> http://www.railpage.org.au/vr/

The way they splitt up the revenue, at this stage is through survey
conducted on the trains and trams. It is meant to be electronically
allocated, but I was told that this will not come into effect until all
the private companies agree so. I guess some are more happy with the
survey than having it electronic, they must be getting a good share of
the pie at the moment this way