Re: [Vic] Metcard - What could be done.

Vaughan missed the point of my comment:

Vaughan Williams wrote:

> RS: There should be no 'requirement' to 'revalidate', and no need to poke
> a ticket
> > in a slot to exit from a station.
> > There should be no need for the holder of a periodical ticket to poke
> it into a
> > machine ever.
>
> V: I don't know about this... to get through automatic gates, if we are
> going to have electronic ticketing, its sensible to give people the
> option of showing their ticket electronically or showing it visually.

People with periodical tickets shouldn't need to be going through barriers
at all: either with electronic checking or with manual checking.

European (and even San Francisco) practice: it is the traveller's
responsibility to hold a valid ticket, and this is checked by random roving
squads (like 0.05 blood alcohol).  No barriers are needed at all.  Any
ticket should be validated just once.

--
Regards
Roderick B Smith