Re: Glenbrook Driver cleared (newspaper article)

> *snip*
>
> Mmmm....
>
> I gather from your postings that you dislike 60-year-old lesbians and train
> drivers.  Is this self-hate or something else?  At least you don't accuse Mr
> Sinnett of being a 60-year-old lesbian!

> I think the "rule" you're misquoting ("have to drive slow enough to stop
> short of any obstruction") is first out-of-date (the current jargon is the
> unfortunately vague "extreme caution") and secondly irrelevant, since it
> applies to the situation where the train has stood at an automatic signal at
> danger for a minute and the signaller cannot be contacted.

The signal was red, RED means danger!
Ahhh, so someone finally quotes the rules.. But, when were the rules changed?
They said Mr Sinnett was an experienced driver.
But seeing the rule is "vague", then so is the availablitity of commom sense.

> W534 stopped at an automatic signal at danger.  The driver successfully
> contacted the signaller.  The signaller instructed the driver to proceed to
> the next signal and if it was at danger, report.  All that's on tape.

Yes, but did the driver need to be told "extreme caution", or "travel at 10
km/h" or "watch out for small birds nesting by the line". If thats the case, the
the rule should provided for the signaller to relieve the driver and drive the
train himself. Surely the drivers have a brain that can operate under these
circumstances.

For god sakes people, pull the rule apart as much as you may to protect his / or
your own asses, but people died!

> There's some discussion of this in Mr Justice McInerney's report.  The
> signaller seems to have forgotten that WL-2 had been given similar
> instructions and had not yet reported.  But then there were two signallers.

Ahhh, but they were not physically at the location.

Honestly, would you trust the word of the train controller at Sydney, if you are
pulling out of Bathurst!

--
Thanks,

Tony Gatt.

  How do I set my Laser printer to "Stun"?

Personal Website: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~baulko/
Railway Website:   http://www.railpage.org.au/railpix/