Re: Freghtcorp Privatisation

michael ostrowski wrote:

> I breifly heard something on the local news recently,
> that the NSW Government plans to privatise Freghtcorp.

It was the subject of a front page article in the Thursday June 8
Financial Review. The sale was only a proposal at this stage, although
internal (govt?) sources suggested that planning for the sale was well
advanced. It was suggested that the sale would draw strong opposition
at this weekend's Labor Party conference.

> I was wondering what would happen to subsidised regional
> rail freght, and if a privatised FC withdraws out of
> regional NSW would private operators take up most of that
> business?

I would say that you could kiss regional rail freight goodbye if FC
was privatised.

Perhaps others, who have first hand knowledge of employment in private
rail or road freight haulage, could inform us of the working condition
that current FC employees could look forward to if they survive the
transition from public to private ownership. :-)

Rob