Re: [Melb] Hillside stuff up at FSS

"HXP1" <hxp1@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
8hiog4$q4a$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8hiog4$q4a$1@nnrp1.deja.com...
> In article <TK3%4.171$NB1.243003@news0.optus.net.au>,
>   "Dave Proctor" <daproc@spambait.ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
> > But as for the suggestion that the codes are on a page and I should
> > go and look (which was on a post which did not reach this server) why
> > should I have to? Every time a post pops up which has codes in it, I
> > am meant to wander off to a web page and have a look in order to
> > decipher part of the post, when it would be a lot easier to place (in
> > brackets, if necessary) what the code stands for the first time a
> > code is mentioned?
>
> WTF does IIRC or ISTR mean?
>
> Can someone explain what it is about a "V set (tgtiabtw)" that sets it
> apart from a "G set"?
>
> A RUB & a HUB, eh?
>
> Rlys are full of codes & abbreviations, just because you can't remember
> the *simple* & *logical* codes we use in the COTU (like FEX for
> Richmond Junction) doesn't mean we have to labouriously type full
> station names in order to relieve the reading public from excercising
> their grey matter from time to time...
>
> P.S. where is MEL?  Is that SSS or FSS?
>
> Good Evening,

Some codes stand out by their context, e.g. "Yesterdays Indian Pacific left
SYD 30 minutes late but got into ADL 30 minutes early", you do not need ot
be a rocket scientist to know that SYD is Sydney and ADL is Adelaide.
Similiarly with carriage descriptions, the only clashes that I can think of
are the Bluebirds in SA clash with the Silver City Comet in NSW (100 and 200
classes), the redhens in SA clash with the HPC's in NSW (400's) and the
DMU's in Qld clash with the Supertrains in SA (2000 class) -again, in 99.9%
of cases, the context will make it fairly apparent what is being referred
to.

But to say in a post that a train from SGS (and despite having lived in
Melbourne for 19 months, I am still none the wiser as to where this trian
came from) is ridiculous. You are not going to know where this is unless you
have an extremely detailed knowledge of every code applicable to one state
in Australia (and not many people have knowledge of this).

What is so hard about saying what the "SGS" stands for immediately after it
is first referred to? It does jnot need to be decoded after each and every
reference, just the first.

Dave