Re: Most hated trains in Australia! :-) (was: Favourite train/tram [Aus wide])

"James C" <jamesccj@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
393cd592$0$8439$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au">news:393cd592$0$8439$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au...
> As I said long distance land cruser trains are generally good and its'
hard
> to .say which is the worst,  Westlander have no special feature
> what so ever. The journey is slow, if you take the train from later towns
> like Toowoomba/Dalby usually there will be reduce choices avavilable on
> menu, the coach class seats aren't as good as those on other service, not
> sure if they improved it or not since I took it last time (1991 Spring) .

I loved the Westlander when I last did it (1990) -I also did the Midlander
and the Inlander. They all had the fell of a train from the 60's and 70's,
the meals were cooked on board (the steaks and the sausages were cooked, not
just reheated), the diner (well, griddle car) was great to down a beer or
ten whilst going through the outback.

Of course, I had a First Class Sunshine Rail Pass, and had a sleeper to
myself (nobody else travelling) so that might have helped.

The trip to Quilpie was fun though, except when I tried to shower between
Quilpie and Cunnamulla and came out dirtier than I went in (nobody warned me
about the red dust that comes through the vents).

Dave