Re: Catchpoints - what are they?

"mack" <mack@ncifcrf.gov> wrote in message
393929AC.14518CB7@ncifcrf.gov">news:393929AC.14518CB7@ncifcrf.gov...
> signal_spotter@my-deja.com wrote:

> > This allows more train movements ie simultaneous entry into a main line
> > and a loop line.
>
> I'm with the guy who thinks of pantographs as the bouncy things that spark
in
> the rain.
> I assume you mean to the piece of line between the catchpoint and the
mainline,
> but I can't imagine what is going on here. I can't imagine a train
> simultaneously
> going onto the loop line and the main line.
>
> Can you explain this some more please?

Hi Joe - I am not sure where you are, but are you familiar with the layout
at Strathfield in Sydney?

The layout here has catchpoints at the end of platform1, where trains from
the north normally arrive. Trains from the west and south normally arrive at
platform 2, and the two tracks then merge to go to Central.

The catchpoints at the end of platform 1 allow a train to enter the platform
and wait for a train on platform 2 to go through. Trains on platform 2
cannot enter the platform to allow a train on platform 1 to go through as
there are no catchpoints at the end of platform 2 (nowhere safe for a train
to go).

There are other places where this occurs.

Do you have Train Dispatcher? I can build you a layout of Strathfield so you
can put the above into perspective, if you like.

Dave