Re: Catchpoints - what are they?

signal_spotter@my-deja.com wrote:

> Catchpoints are a set of points where only one rail is switched. They
> are usually placed at the ends of loops (except CTC), sidings etc to
> prevent vehicles from fouling the main line.

Thanks for the link to the photos.

OK so you can't push a train onto the main line from a side piece of track
through an open catchpoint

> This allows more train movements ie simultaneous entry into a main line
> and a loop line.

I'm with the guy who thinks of pantographs as the bouncy things that spark in
the rain.
I assume you mean to the piece of line between the catchpoint and the mainline,
but I can't imagine what is going on here. I can't imagine a train
simultaneously
going onto the loop line and the main line.

Can you explain this some more please?

Thanks Joe

--
Joseph Mack, NA3T, FM05lw EME(B,D)