Re: [v] Flinders St station stuff-ups - AGAIN

I have been lucky enough to spend peak hour in Metrol, during the one of
the platform closures (2&3 actually) last year.  Things change so
quickly and if it wasn't for the quick work of some of those people you
would not even have a train.

Something like this would happen:
A train routed into platform 4 at FSS is set to form say a Alamein
train, but then it is found out that this train had a defect and needs
to be transposed with another train in order to fix this defect, so it
is decided this train would form a Epping train off platform 1 (so that
it can go to Epping and be fixed) so the train from Eltham which was
going to form the Epping train now needs to form an Alamein train, but
because platform 2 & 3 is closed and it can't get to platform 4 to form
an Alamein train, so this train will form a Belgrave train off Platform
1 center, and the train from Glen Waverley that would form the train to
Belgrave will now arrive in Platform 4 and form a Alamein train, but
then this train needs to later divide into 2 three car trains, but this
is a Hitachi train, and so it goes on..........

It the mean time the monitor on say platform 1 has the next train as
Belgrave, but the Epping train will go first and it is not until the
train arrives and it TD number is changed, platform staff notified
etc... they get this right.  After all that the drivers also need to be
contacted and told which train they are driving off which platform
etc....

Once they have done all this then something else will happen and things
will change again.

All I can say is get permission to visit Metrol and spend an peak hour
in there and you will soon see how many people (driver, platform
supervisor, fleet controller, train controller, guy on the panel
etc.....) have to know what is going on, and how things change so
quickly.

Then you will know why this happens, and you will just have prase for
how well things are running.

--

Chris Gordon

http://www.railpage.org.au/vicsig