Re: reality is Aussie Railways are small time [was]Steam builds for Alice to Darwin rail link

Rod Young <freight_man@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> yadnum <yadnum@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

<snip>

> Union Pacific would not run any Railway in Australia, none [aussie
> rail]would be big enough! Possible exceptions would be Hamersley etc.
That's
> why tiny short line operators who barely rate a mention in US bid for our
> Systems here in Australia. Rail America only got a little muscle after
their
> purchase of V/Line Freight, and before that in South America. Since then
of
> course, they have grown in America, and with the immanent take over of
> National Rail, will be a real force to be reckoned with, both here and in
> the USA.
> Rod Young

What makes you think Rail America will be taking over National Rail ?????

The Federal Government has only recently "formally" announced that the three
shareholders on NR (Federal, NSW & Vic. Govts) have all agreed to sell their
shares in the company (i.e. the tender process for the sale is only just
beginning).

BTW, the cynics in my workplace say profitability for the Alice Springs to
Darwin line doesn't matter, because it is only being built so that Peter
Reith can screw the MUA, after the Governments loss during the Patrick's
dispute .......Makes you wonder....

Russ...