Re: [Tas] Circular Head line route revealed

Hi

Maybe in considering adverse impacts they could factor in the 'prime
crop growing properties' that were re-united when the old route to
Smithton via Irishtown Jcn was closed.  Of course, mainland Australian
readers may care to substitute such terms as 'back-blocks', 'middle of
nowhere' etc, for 'prime crop growing properties'.  Coming from the
place, I reflect that we Tasmanians do a little too much complaining
about these sort of developments.  And we have the economy to prove it.

Cheers

Ben

> Apparently it's going on the south side of the Bass Highway.  This
will have
> minimal impact on the dairy farms of the region..
>
> Already there has been concern about what land it will take back- not
sure if
> the plans include underpasses for where the line will cut off some
land.

> From Wiltshire to Smithton, the terrain is fairly good, unlike the
road route
> over Sisters Hills and Rocky Cape.
>
> This route is apparently better than the option of putting the train
through
> Forest.
>
> One can imagine what the GM*s would make of that old run...
>
> *GM: genetically modified, if the banner on the side of Hobart's
Southern
> Outlet is to be believed!
>
> David & Denise Cooper wrote:
>
> > Will be interesting. My wife comes from that area and I lived there
for a
> > year when the old line was running.
> >
> > One of my best memories is an X at full cry climbing out of
Smithton on a
> > very cold and still winter morning. EE really know how to craft a
great
> > sound.
> >
> > DavidC
> >
> > "David Bromage" <dbromage@fang.omni.com.au> wrote in message
> > > The preferred route for the Wiltshire to Smithton rail line in
Tasmania's
> > > north-west will be revealed this morning by the Department of
> > > Infrastructure, Energy and Resources.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.