Re: [VIC] Dreamtime2-train to Bass Coast

Well the line is completely ripped up from Nyora on,and I would surmise most
of it would be leased to adjoining land holders.
Most % tourists would be from over seas,so are picked up from their city
motels and bussed to the penguins and bussed straight back again and then
fly out to Sydney for the real action.

"Michael Walker" <wk@cgsc.vic.edu.au> wrote in message
> How badly ripped up is the train line to Anderson (or wherever it is
> you turn off to Phillip Island). Given the large amount of car and bus
> traffic that goes there to see the penguins, koalas, surf, etc, what
> would be the technical possibility (ignoring lack of political will,
> NEX asking for subsidies to boost profits on any potential services,
> etc) of restoring the line?
>
> Plus, what do people think the potential patronage would be? Would
> tourists be interested in a steam train trip to Anderson, then swapping
> to a much shorter coach trip? Would backpackers and locals (in the
> Victorian sense rather than South Gippsland sense!) be interested in
> catching a Vline train to Anderson and swapping to a short coach trip
> rather than catching a bus all the way? (I know I certainly would
> prefer it, coach travel is to be avoided as far as I'm concerned!))
Yes great idea,the steam trips that used to take one train to Nyora bus to
the island ,ferry across to Stony Point and steam to Melbourne,with that
division returning in the opposite direction where very popular indeed and I
dont see why its not done today,apart from the logistics of gaining access
to Nyora from Melbourne.
IMHO its the best use of locomotives,ferries, and rolling stock this side of
the black stump,just think of all the options you could build into that
little venture.
> And to carry this even further, how much more expensive would it be to
> extend the train to San Remo (obviously even more so than resuming an
> existing alignment)? Or even onto Phillip Island itself (admittedly
> probably unlikely due to the large cost of a bridge compared to the
> short distance by road)?
Gone,but like stock trains to Mansfield not impossible <g>
> Merely curious as to the potential of such a line, I know it will never
> happen.
Never say never,They run trains to Gembrook again dont they .
Graeme