Re: Stored Locomotives

> >MD
> Maurie i can assure you that there is ABSOLUTLY no surplus NR class
> loco's as in Melbourne on any given day we have no spares on hand as i
> said the AN's are stored serviceable as i'm told they are in fact 10
> years old
No, The first AN class delivered in early 1993 from Clyde, Somerston and
last unit delivered in 1994, make them at most 7 years old.

>and are due for major overhauls and with the looming
> privatization of NR the company refuses to spend the quoted $425000 on
> each overhaul.
Funnyhow they prefer to use older locos like BL, 2 of the C class, DL class
and 81 class rather then AN class, AN class is more powerful and younger
then any of them , I'm sure overhaul BL, DL, 81 and C would be more
expensive then overhaul ANs.

> I am absolutely sure when the new owners take over they will overhaul
> them very promptly and put them back into revenue service as well as
> the remaining stored seven C classes.
> I must say though i cannot understand the people who say that if you
> are not using the loco's you should sell them to a competitor who will
> promptly put them into service and pirate your work from you!!!
> That does not make good business sense to me ,what does make sense to
> me would be to overhaul them and find some new work for them
Good point, there are so many businesses out there for NR. Interstate
freight, Post Australia etc, hopefully NR can grab as much traffic as
possible in the near future, utility its loco fleet.

Cheers
James