Re: Stored Locomotives

Maurie Daly <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
mauried.517.00B1B9CC@tpg.com.au">news:mauried.517.00B1B9CC@tpg.com.au...
> Given Pauls recent post about the pending storage of the ANs
> does anyone have any good estimates of exactly how many serviceable
> SG locomotives are stored (or should I say hoarded) by the various
operators.
FC stored some 80 class, and 442 class unused, FA is trying to bring back as
many of it storing y class back to traffic....and some T, S as well. NR
still have plenty of C class unused. not sure of Westrail but I know they
have a few ....AN class can run at higher speed then BL class, would GSR
hire then to haul AN class inorder to save some running time???(Say
Overland?)

> This practice of storing locomotives so that no one else may use them is
today
> a totally pointless and stupid exercise given that CFCLA are quire willing
> hire their ELs to whoever wants them ,so storing locos doesnt achieve
anything
> except loss of revenue.
> Surely its better to hire your unwanted locos to whoever has a loco
shortage
> (FA for example) and at least generate some revenue than having them sit
> around gathering rust.
But what if Freight Corp hire AN class for Sydney-Melbourne or
Sydney-Brisbane interstate freight in competition with NR?

> In the case of the ANs which are only between 6 and 8 years old its absurd
> that these locos are being stored.
> If NRC doesnt need them it should sell them.
NR isn't very sure of its future at the moment......selling locos is not a
good idea just look at ASR with virtually no new locos, if V/line freight
hand over their G class to NR few years back that would leave FA in total
chaos today.

Cheers
James