Re: Stored Locomotives

In article <39826bc6$0$11136$7f31c96c@news01.syd.optusnet.com.au> "James C" <idonthavemail@noemail.org> writes:
>From: "James C" <idonthavemail@noemail.org>
>Subject: Re: Stored Locomotives
>Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 15:48:43 +1000

>Maurie Daly <mauried@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
>mauried.517.00B1B9CC@tpg.com.au">news:mauried.517.00B1B9CC@tpg.com.au...
>> Given Pauls recent post about the pending storage of the ANs
>> does anyone have any good estimates of exactly how many serviceable
>> SG locomotives are stored (or should I say hoarded) by the various
>operators.
>FC stored some 80 class, and 442 class unused, FA is trying to bring back as
>many of it storing y class back to traffic....and some T, S as well. NR
>still have plenty of C class unused. not sure of Westrail but I know they
>have a few ....AN class can run at higher speed then BL class, would GSR
>hire then to haul AN class inorder to save some running time???(Say
>Overland?)

>> This practice of storing locomotives so that no one else may use them is
>today
>> a totally pointless and stupid exercise given that CFCLA are quire willing
>> hire their ELs to whoever wants them ,so storing locos doesnt achieve
>anything
>> except loss of revenue.
>> Surely its better to hire your unwanted locos to whoever has a loco
>shortage
>> (FA for example) and at least generate some revenue than having them sit
>> around gathering rust.
>But what if Freight Corp hire AN class for Sydney-Melbourne or
>Sydney-Brisbane interstate freight in competition with NR?

So what, the only reason that Freightcorp would win NRC traffic is because it
offers the customer a better deal.
Refusing to hire the ANs wont stop this as Freightcorp can hire ELs to do the
same thing.
If they were really serious they could reinstate electrics in the suburban
area and release 82s and 81s to compete with NRC.

>> In the case of the ANs which are only between 6 and 8 years old its absurd
>> that these locos are being stored.
>> If NRC doesnt need them it should sell them.
>NR isn't very sure of its future at the moment......selling locos is not a
>good idea just look at ASR with virtually no new locos, if V/line freight
>hand over their G class to NR few years back that would leave FA in total
>chaos today.

>Cheers
>James

Im not sure that having new locomotives is any great benefit.
Both ASR and Tasrail (ATN in Tasmania) are currently the most profitable
private operators with FA not far behind.
The common factor in all of these operators is their lack of new locomotives.
NRC ,on the other hand with the most new locos of any operator,has yet to make
a profit.

MD