Re: Stored Locomotives

On Sat, 29 Jul 2000 14:01:31 LOCAL, mauried@tpg.com.au (Maurie Daly)
wrote:

>In article <BYqg5.20$dW1.8261@news0.optus.net.au> dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage) writes:
>>From: dbromage@fang.omni.com.au (David Bromage)
>>Subject: Re: Stored Locomotives
>>Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 02:04:17 GMT
>
>>Maurie Daly (mauried@tpg.com.au) wrote:
>>> In the case of the ANs which are only between 6 and 8 years old its absurd
>>> that these locos are being stored.
>>> If NRC doesnt need them it should sell them.
>
>>Questions would be asked if they did. 10 ANs in storage effectively means
>>10 NRs which weren't needed and/or traffic which they lost to other operators.
>
>>Cheers
>>David
>

>Surely though its better to use locomotives that you own outright like the ANs
>than to use locomotives like the NRs which are leverage leased,although I
>suspect that you are right,that if NRC tried to sell surplus NRs there would
>be a lot of questions asked.
>
>MD
Maurie i can assure you that there is ABSOLUTLY no surplus NR class
loco's as in Melbourne on any given day we have no spares on hand as i
said the AN's are stored serviceable as i'm told they are in fact 10
years old and are due for major overhauls and with the looming
privatization of NR the company refuses to spend the quoted $425000 on
each overhaul.
I am absolutely sure when the new owners take over they will overhaul
them very promptly and put them back into revenue service as well as
the remaining stored seven C classes.
I must say though i cannot understand the people who say that if you
are not using the loco's you should sell them to a competitor who will
promptly put them into service and pirate your work from you!!!
That does not make good business sense to me ,what does make sense to
me would be to overhaul them and find some new work for them
Regards Paul Johnston MNRC
My views may not be shared by my employer.
Regards Paul Johnston (MNRC)