Re: Box Hill tram extension

David Bromage wrote:

> Chris Brownbill (cbrnbill@enternet.com.au) wrote:
> > Several Box Hill business sites, a front yard, a bowling club and gardens are
> > expected to be bulldozed to make way for the proposed tramline extension from
> > Mont Albert.  Even the famed white horse statue in the centre of Box hill will
> > have to make way from the tramline, trotting a few metres towards Clisby Court
> > and a metre or so South.
>
> Where is the white horse now? It used to be on the median strip where
> Whitehorse Road divides. It had been relocated by the time I moved away
> from Box Hill in 1984.
>
> cheers
> David

It is still in the median strip, at the Western end of the divided road section
leading to Box Hill central shopping centre (and the Station and proposed and
former tram terminii).  I believe it was moved slightly a few years ago for
reasons I can't recall.  Apparently originally it was the fascia of an inn on
Maroondah Highway, the White Horse hotel, up until I think about the 1930s?
Ironic because Box Hill has for many years been a dry area with no pubs
permitted, relaxed a bit only this year with licenced restaurants now permitted
in some areas, and the municipal logo symbolises the demon drink!