Re: Box Hill tram extension

Chris Brownbill wrote:

>  Apparently originally it was the fascia of an inn on
> Maroondah Highway, the White Horse hotel, up until I think about the 1930s?
> Ironic because Box Hill has for many years been a dry area with no pubs
> permitted, relaxed a bit only this year with licenced restaurants now permitted
> in some areas, and the municipal logo symbolises the demon drink!

There were no pubs in Box Hill, but when I was a kid there in the
60s/70s, some local grocer shops, such as the Four Square in the Trawool
Street shopping strip off Dorking Rd near my house (we were at 196
Dorking Rd), sold beer, wines etc.

A huge amount of alcohol was consumed in Box Hill in those days, much of
it by my father and his mates. After six o'clock closing was abolished
about 1967, they drank six day until the 10pm closing time at the
Doncaster Inn Hotel up the Middleborough Rd hill above North Box Hill,
then brought their crates of beer home for more.

On Sunday they went to a sly grog joint in the lube bay of the petrol
station behind the Doncaster Inn to drink from midday. This grog joint,
which got its supplies from the pub next door, was called The Catholic
Hour by those who went to it.

Just another little slice of Box Hill history...

David McLoughlin
Auckland New Zealand