Re: Yarra Trams to change routed

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:46:58 GMT, Vaughan Williams
<ender2000@my-deja.com> wrote:

>So in other words theyre going to terminate the #11 at the bottom of
>Brunswick St and cut services in Collins St by 33%. Outrageous.
>
>Theyre not supposed to be able to change timetables without the OK from
>the DPT and PTCCCC. Since I'm on the PTCCCC, I know they haven't asked,
>let alone had it approved.

They have had it pased by the Government, and have used the fact that
they cannot run a full service at the moment with the shortage of
trams due to the W-Class problem.

I was in the City this afternoon, and noticed a few Z-Class trams on
route 86, and B-Class trams on route 12.   It makes sense to "swap"
these trams around because the 12 does not need such a large tram,
when the 86 does.

However I don't believe the drivers at Southbank who do the 12 can
drive Z's..so maybe they cannot do a simple swap.

As for the Collins Street problem that will occur with the new tram
route, Yarra will have to start running Collins Street Shorts during
the morning and afternoon peak, because as anybody who catches trams
during the peak will know...the tram are packed in the city at the
moment, so maybe we will need a can opener when we travel? <g>