Re: [NSW] V set a/c fire--The Sydney Morning Herald

For the masochists among us, my original letter to the SMH is shown below.

"26 July 2000

Dear Sir/Madam,

"Fire traps train commuters", Herald 26 July, sounds good but it's a lie.
When the affected train stopped last night the train's crew took quick
action to escort passengers from the first two carriages to the rear two
carriages.  As one of the last passengers to exit the lead car I saw wisps
of smoke (brought into the first carriage by the air-conditioning) but
there was no indication the fire was seated in or had spread to the
air-conditioning - it appeared to be contained in the rooftop equipment
that powers the carriage.

The passengers in the second last car responded well to the crew's
directions and were well aware they were removed from the fire, ie. they
weren't at risk.  The crew appeared to be organising an orderly evacuation
via the last carriage after having ensured all other trains were stopped
and our train was securely braked.

Some passengers became agitated when police smashed windows to gain access
to the train as the normal passenger doors were locked - a dramatic but
understandable move by police taking a worst case scenario approach, but
this appeared to cause more panic than the fire had. Once clear of the
train it was evident that the fire was restricted to the lead car and
posed no immediate threat, either through flames or smoke, to the last two
cars and therefore any passengers.

The police did an excellent job recording people's names (as they are
required to do) and injecting some levity while we waited.  The ambulance
officers and the fire brigade appeared equally excellent in the execution
of their duties.  CityRail organised alternative transport as quickly as
possible.

Your erroneous reporting of the matter makes me wonder how reliable your
other news items are or is your ignorance, or is it bias, restricted to
reporting CityRail incidents?  Thankfully yesterday evening's passengers
had a firmer grip on reality.

Chris Downs"

Chris Downs <cvdowns@ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
0DSf5.49446$N4.1699839@ozemail.com.au">news:0DSf5.49446$N4.1699839@ozemail.com.au...
> There is a story to everything!
>
> I composed the letter to the SMH's Letters Editor 1st thing Wednesday
> morning and shot it off by e-mail.  I received a call later in the day to
> say that the letter was shortlisted but that it was too long (I sent off a
> 300 word letter knowing this was an issue when the paper's preferred
length
> is 200 words).
>
> The Editor and I negotiated over the contents (damn hard to envisage
changes
> suggested in rapid fire.  The Editor actually suggested I accept changes
> without having then read back to me!).  The Editor also questioned my
> reference to the headline "Fire traps train commuters" and said that was
not
> the headline used and that my reference had to be changed.  I said it was
> correct so they added "first edition" to the reference.  I also stated
that
> the headline was a lie, the Editor responded that the reporter was not
lying
> but that the statement may be untrue!  She also suggested the line "I was
> there." cringe cringe cringe in lieu of my longer winded explanation but I
> had to compromise.
>
> Other things the Editor did was change my observations to statements of
> fact.  Also removed my reference to CityRail's speedy organisation of
> alternate transport.
>
> My choice was no letter or a compromised one, I chose the compromise.
>
> If I remember I'll post my original letter tomorrow (as sent to the SMH)
for