Re: [NSW] V set a/c fire--The Sydney Morning Herald

There is a story to everything!

I composed the letter to the SMH's Letters Editor 1st thing Wednesday
morning and shot it off by e-mail.  I received a call later in the day to
say that the letter was shortlisted but that it was too long (I sent off a
300 word letter knowing this was an issue when the paper's preferred length
is 200 words).

The Editor and I negotiated over the contents (damn hard to envisage changes
suggested in rapid fire.  The Editor actually suggested I accept changes
without having then read back to me!).  The Editor also questioned my
reference to the headline "Fire traps train commuters" and said that was not
the headline used and that my reference had to be changed.  I said it was
correct so they added "first edition" to the reference.  I also stated that
the headline was a lie, the Editor responded that the reporter was not lying
but that the statement may be untrue!  She also suggested the line "I was
there." cringe cringe cringe in lieu of my longer winded explanation but I
had to compromise.

Other things the Editor did was change my observations to statements of
fact.  Also removed my reference to CityRail's speedy organisation of
alternate transport.

My choice was no letter or a compromised one, I chose the compromise.

If I remember I'll post my original letter tomorrow (as sent to the SMH) for
comparative purposes.  It provides an interesting insight into the way
papers work.

Finally (almost), CityRail rang me at work yesterday to ensure I was ok.
Very good to see.

As an aside there was snow next to the tracks between Woodford and
Hazelbrook this afternoon - it must have been bloody cold today!  The snow
was pelting down at Leura at 2100 last night, fourth time this winter.

Chris

8lolka$umi$1@nnrp1.deja.com">news:8lolka$umi$1@nnrp1.deja.com...