Re: 8650

>Hi guys.This has proberbly been answered a heap of times
 in here but I was wantingto know other than
8650 being a BO-BO-BO configuration compared to the CO-CO
of the rest of the 86's. Why was it tested out on 8650 & what was the
 extrabogie meant to do? Help with traction or something like that?
What is to happen with the 86's as well as the 85's that are not in use.
I've heard on here that the 86's are on ther way to Werris Creek
(where thepower don't run) for storage. I would've thought keeping
an electric closeto the power supply when store just in case it is needed
when a locoshortage happens (which it could)

Skippy

8650 was made a BO- BO-BO as a suggestion by the manufacturer and with the approval of the SRA
The idea being that a tri BO is easier on the tight corners than a CO CO. Especially when you
consider they were deisgned for the blue mountains and central coast runs, all of which have
tight curves. As far as I understand, this loco was moth balled after limited use, as the SRA didn't
like it one status and as it turns out, too many 86 class were ordered, as within a few years,
NR started up and used diesel where the SRA, now freight corp used electric.

>From the NG, I hear that most of the 86 and 85 class are to be sent to Werris Creek,  where
I assume they will die a slow death. SOme will still be employeed in Sydney for coal and some
other work. But basically there is more than they need. I have read on the NG, that China is
interested. The locos biggest problem is that in Quad formation, they draw too much current.
Maybe if the rail system went back 20 years to only running 2 or 3 locos, they might be better
suited. The 1500VDC power system of NSW is not really suited to heavy high HP electric trains,
such as 4000t + coal trains.

However, the 8650, helped the manufacturer to further develope the design and win the 1st contract
for the design construction of the QLd electric locos. All five QR electric locos are BO BO BO deisgn.
These locos are better suited for QR's narrow gauge and in some places tighter curves.

QR tend to have straighter NCL: and coal lines than NSW, due to an extensive grade and curve
easing program, but the yards are still tight. Ie where I live in Gladstone.

8650 was the ginea pig, as it was the last off the production line. The extra bogie simply allows to
take tighter curves, by moving sideways, as well as turning and is easier on the track. Other alt's
like what was done to steam locos, is to allow the centre axle on a CO CO to move sideways, or
remove the flange on the wheels.

Hope this helps

Shane