Re: [SA] Tenders received for SE lines

When SA converted the Southeast lines from narrow to broad gauge, they
got the Federal govt to pay for some or all of it, on the rather
strange understanding that the work was 'preliminary' to conversion to
standard gauge.  I don't know which bureaucrat in Cranberry OKed the
decision, but he must have been an incurable optimist !

I hope some money is forthcoming to convert these lines to standard,
but I would not hold my breath.  It's a pity because back in the early
80s, these lines produced quite a lot of traffic.  Rod Milne did a
decent article on the Naracoorte-Kington SE line, and the thrice weekly
service there was about 17 wagons or so, mainly fertiliser, stock and
wool, a decent load.

Cheers

Ben

> Exactly what does this mean?
> Will the existing lines be converted to SG and at whose cost?
> I cant see the existing BG system being viable to any commercial
operator.
> Obviously an operator like FA would like to utilise Heywood - Mt
Gambier -
> Snuggery but I cant see them paying for guage conversion,nor can I
see the
> "rail friendly " SA govt paying to guage convert any of the SA part
of the
> network.
>
> MD

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/