Re: Connex pictures - take 2

Michael Kurkowski wrote:

> paul@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (Paul Dwerryhouse) wrote in
> <8ljmpe$6vb$1@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>:
>
> >Michael Kurkowski <usenet.spam@gunzel.net> writes:
> >
> >>My images of the Connex launch day yesterday are at:
> >>http://www.gunzel.net/connex
> >
> >Urk, the seats _still_ face one another.
> >
> >Can't they get anything right?
> >
> >I mean, really, it's not hard: make all the seats face on direction, so
> >that those of us with long legs are not constantly kicking those in
> >front of us...
>
> Aparently, the concensus among most Melbournians led to show that the
> facing seats were preferred. I tend to agree with them.

Yes I must agree - facing seats are definitely preferable, not just for legroom,
but for social comfort.  Contrast the design of Tangaras - the face to back
seating layout is specifically designed to cause maximum psychological unease -
all seats face AWAY from the centre of the saloon, so that unless you sit on the
stairway bulkhead seats you have your back to most of the carriage.  This
offends one of the most primitive insincts humans have - to put ouselves in a
position from which we can survey potential threats - and to many people being
in a train can be a threatening place.