Re: Brief trip report MEL-CBR-MEL and thoughts on 737 vs A320 cabins.

ajc@wxs.nl wrote:
> I'm out of touch on all this. Can someone update me? Last I heard was
> that a High Speed Rail service was to be built and operated between
> SYD and CBR by some consortium including QF. Is that still the case?

Yes, but the decision by the Commonwealth government keeps getting
delayed. The consortium is Leighton Holdings, Alstom, Qantas, SNCF and a
couple of banks.

> Is it also going to operate to MEL?

There are plans to extend it to Melbourne by 2010, but this would require
the government getting off their butts and making a decision.

> Have they started building?

No.

> When will the service start?

If there are no more delays, about October 2004.

> Is it a true High Speed Track, securely
> fenced, no level crossings, exclusive to High Speed Trains etc.?

Yes, standard TGV line.

Cheers
David