Re: Melbourne W-class trams

"David McLoughlin" <davemclNOSPAM@iprolink.co.nz> wrote in message
397BD299.53B3@iprolink.co.nz">news:397BD299.53B3@iprolink.co.nz...
> James C wrote:
> > Check out morning peak/afternoon peak on trams running along St Kilda
> > road.....also those trams leaving Melbourne Central  for Melbourne
> > University. Elizebath Street trams during midday.....you really don't
need
> > to go to Tokyo to see over crowded public transport.
>
> Yes, it will be good to see the new artics running on St Kilda Road.
>
> The contra-peak flows on St Kilda Road have seemed to me on each visit
> to be just as crowded as the peak flow.

At the city end, probably more so. I would guess more people commute to St
Kilda Road by train to Flinders Street then a tram than commute into the
city by Swanston Street tram (given that most of those routes' areas are
served by trains).

When I was working in St Kilda Road, some of us living in the eastern and
south eastern suburbs switched to walking to South Yarra to get home; either
catching direct trains from there or catching trains to Richmond, then
catching trains home from there. Faster, and avoided the sardine-like tram
conditions.

Daniel
--
Daniel Bowen, Melbourne, Australia