Re: Brief trip report MEL-CBR-MEL and thoughts on 737 vs A320 cabins.

Matthew Geier (matthew@mail.usyd.edu.au) wrote:
> In article <397B29E3.3A46A628@videotron.ca>,
> JF Mezei  <jfmezei.spamnot@videotron.ca> wrote:
> >Dave Proctor wrote:
> >> Considering city-centre to city-centre journey times, it would probably be
> >> comparable. The clincher would be reliability, the knock on effect of delays
> >> at Sydney airport impacting on MEL-CBR flights, and the lack of delays on
> >> the train, might be what swings many people over on this sector.
> >
> >How reliable can the train really be ? If it rains, or there is fog, is the
> >train still allowed to go as fast ?  How many level crossings are there ? What
> >happens during the periods where there is work being done on tracks ? (or
> >power lines).

>  Trains running at that speed are not driven on sight anyway. The signals are
> relayed to the cab, TGV and Shinkasen lines do not have wayside signals. Fog
> and heavy rain are not significant problems. The driver can't react fast
> enough even if they do have clear view. High speed lines do not have
> level crossings, are fenced and often have other systems to ensure the line
> is clear. (Japanese lines have earthquake detectors...)

The French TVM430 is a very save signalling system. There was an instance
of a TGV driver committing suicide by jumping out at 300km/h, but when the
VC wasn't reset the train was brought to a stop.

> >In Canada, train is unreliable due to weather. All the track work is
> >concentrated in the summer time, and in winter, the weather slows things down.

>  Australia doesn't have weather at all compared to Canada! You guys have storms
> unheard of. Remember a great chunk of Australia is above the Tropic of
> Capricorn. We don't have -40 blizards that can bury freight trains..

Canberra and the Southern Highlands do get snow, but it's never very bad.

>  SpeedRail were proposing to lay out thier new line for 350+Km/hr running,

360km/h running. With the 320km/h AGV (with distributed power) also
proposed as a tilting train, the 360km/h alignment could easily allow migh
higher tilt train speeds in the future. Alstom is already talking about
400km/h TGVs in about 2012.

Cheers
David