Re: {SA} Mt Gambier & other South East lines

Chris Brownbill wrote in message <397932B2.81C90392@enternet.com.au>...
>I believe there is a book titled "One Rusty Rail" which covers the history
of
>some of these lines.  I have not read it, but I understand the title refers
>the appearance of the track after gauge conversion from 1067 to 1600 when
one of
>the the ex ng rails sat unused between the two shiny bg rails.

I recommend this book. I have it and it is an interesting read. One fact
that comes out of it is that some of the regauged track was laid on steel
sleepers which were of necessity punched for narrow and broad gauge but also
standard gauge. The stated aim of the south east gauge conversion was
ultimate standardisation and, IIRC, this is why it got some Commonwealth
funding.

However, the whole deal was flawed as Mt Gambier was looked on in state
terms as to its rail linkage to Adelaide. These days there is no reason for
this to exist but there are some good arguments can be made to link Mt
Gambier to Portland.

Barry Campbell