> >From: Paul Blair <pblair@pcug.org.au>
> >Subject: National Transport Strategy
> >Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:07:49 +1000
>
> >Today's "Australian" carries an advert for Director, National
> >Transport Strategy, based in Brisbane.
>
> >It goes on to say that this is a new organisation established to build
> >a more efficient, effective and sustainable transport system in
> >Australia.
>
> >The NTS, it is said, will have the capacity to assist Transport
> >Ministers to tackle issues which effect all transpot modes and are of
> >National significance.
>
> >The salary package is $109,300.
>
> >OK, what do we know about this? I thought we had a Federal Minister
> >and Department whose task it was to do what is described in the
> >advert. While their efforts in recent years have not been remarkable,
> >do we now have a contender for their job?
>
> >Paul Blair
> >-------------------------------
> >Paul Blair
> >pblair@pcug.org.au
>

> Good observation.
> We currently have a Rail Branch in the DOT whose current function one
would
> think is to do exactly what this new group will do.

No - the rail bureaucrat is there to promote rail. The new position is there
to take an overall (holistic, i.e. looking the "whole" transport task) and
advise appropriately.

One would hope that it would be to recommend rail where rail is appropriate
and road where road is appropriate, but this is asking too much, I feel.

Dave