Re: National Transport Strategy

In article <004ins0681kdu7i7srcmrtl5f3gco6a530@4ax.com> Paul Blair <pblair@pcug.org.au> writes:
>From: Paul Blair <pblair@pcug.org.au>
>Subject: National Transport Strategy
>Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 13:07:49 +1000

>Today's "Australian" carries an advert for Director, National
>Transport Strategy, based in Brisbane.

>It goes on to say that this is a new organisation established to build
>a more efficient, effective and sustainable transport system in
>Australia.

>The NTS, it is said, will have the capacity to assist Transport
>Ministers to tackle issues which effect all transpot modes and are of
>National significance.

>The salary package is $109,300.

>OK, what do we know about this? I thought we had a Federal Minister
>and Department whose task it was to do what is described in the
>advert. While their efforts in recent years have not been remarkable,
>do we now have a contender for their job?

>Paul Blair
>-------------------------------
>Paul Blair
>pblair@pcug.org.au

Good observation.
We currently have a Rail Branch in the DOT whose current function one would
think is to do exactly what this new group will do.
Just exactly how yet another bunch of bureacrats advising the Minister will
achieve anything is beyond me,other than it will give the Minister an excuse to
not make any controversial decisions , without first having to refer the
matter to the new body .

You cant have a National Transport Strategy (Rail wise) until you have a
National Rail Network) ,which we dont have ,and another body isnt going to fix
that.
Id suspect that part of the rationale of setting up such a body is to allow
the Minister to not make any decision on Speedrail, instead he will simply say
that we must wait , until the new body has fully assessed the proposal in
light of any National transport issues that may be involved.

MD