Chandler Highway, Fairfield (Was: Stopping all stations to...Kew?)

penetrator <peterbalNOpeSPAM@altavista.net.invalid> said:

>I live near Hughesdale which is at one end of the Outer Circle
>Railway line. I have ridden my pushbike all the way along the
>route of the old railway which finishes at Fairfield. Part of
>the old line is still in use and (most of) the rest of it exists
>as parkland or bike track. It's a great bike journey. The bridge
>over the Yarra River near the paper-mill was built for the
>railway. It's now part of Chandler Highway. At the road
>intersection near the Fairfield paper mill you can see the old
>railway line which is still in the roadway. I have read the book
>mentioned in previous posts and this helped identify various
>places on the route. Glen Eira library have a copy of the book.

For those interested, I have found photos of the Chandler Highway area. In
particular, these are aerial photos of the APM paper mill, which also used
the railway. From at least one of the photos, it's interesting to note the
bridge's weird angle from the cutting.
(http://www.slv.vic.gov.au/pictoria/b/0/8/doc/b08802.htm)

What I would be interested to know is, if this was like many of the bridges
on the Murray, that had combined road/rail. Having driven over the bridge
many times before, it certainly seems so.

The complete set of photos are at:

http://slv950.slv.vic.gov.au/webpac-
bin/wgbroker?07201418453641+1+search+select+1+24 (combine both lines to
make one URL - word wrapped to compliant 76 columns).

Michael

--
Michael Kurkowski (michael {dot} kurkowski {at} gunzel {dot} net)

http://www.gunzel.net
Telephone: 0438 775506

No! You were not downloaded, you were born!