Re: [SA] More people using public transport

Taliesin Walker wrote:

> Also, if TransAdelaide would give up on running trains stopping Oaklands,
> Brighten then all stations to Norlunga Centre along with trains stopping all
> stations to Brighton an replace them with trains stopping all stations
> (except perhaps Mile End) we could have 15 minute daytime frequencies on the
> Norlunga line. After all, I would prefer to wait 15 minutes for a train at
> Norlunga and spend an extra 15 minutes on the train than spend half an hour
> waiting and get to the city 15 minutes quicker.

Of course your simple solution would be to get there close to scheduled
departure time, thereby using your time for purposes than fruitless
waiting, and then enjoy the 15 minutes quicker express journey. Why on
earth would you choose to spend half an hour waiting?

Trains stopping all stations are a GREAT deterrent to most passengers
for long journeys - a fact which Melbourne and Brisbane rail systems
seem only now to be learning. All stations to Frankston, Belgrave or
Caboolture may be just fractionally worse than all stations to Noarlunga
Centre, but they are all tarred with the same brush.

If you want to maximise patronage, provide services which are perceived
to be attractive - and long all stations journeys are NOT perceived to
be attractive, even if they are slightly more frequent.

Eddie Oliver